Being a positive person has not always been easy for me. Throughout my teenage years, insecurity and negative thoughts consumed me. I was only able to see the bad side of a situation. Even if things were going well, it was impossible for me to think nothing was wrong. After graduating college and starting my first full-time job, my mindset has completely changed. I realized I would never move forward if I continued to let my fear of failure and overall negativity affect my decisions. Positive thinking has made a huge difference in my life, in both work and personal relationships. I am still learning to keep negative thoughts at bay and am by no means an expert in the art of positive thinking. That being said, I thought I would share my top 5 tips for staying positive!
- Focus on the big picture. If you are feeling discouraged or are tempted to take the easy way out, think about your goal and the steps you must take to achieve it. Want to quit studying for a test because you feel you will fail anyway? Think about how happy you will be when you pass the class and are one step closer to graduating. Join a study group or find a tutor if you are struggling to study on your own. Your goal is in reach!
- Surround yourself with supportive and positive people. I know, I know. Everyone talks about this tip. However, it really is true! If you have constant support from the people in your life, the happier you will feel. Hanging around positive people will motivate you to do the same! If you are around negative people, you might be swept up in a negative thinking pattern.
- Fake it ’til you make it. Yet another well-known tip. If you are starting to doubt yourself or are feeling discouraged, PRETEND, PRETEND, PRETEND!! Putting a smile on your face and telling yourself you can do it really can make all of the difference. If you start pretending to be positive, you might start to believe it.
- Remind yourself that whatever you are going through, it is temporary. You may be in a bad place right now, but you WILL get out of it. This too shall pass. The faster you can get out of your head and stop telling yourself you are worthless, the easier it will become to take the necessary steps to change your current situation.
- Take time for yourself. I cannot stress enough how important this is! Try to set aside at least 30 minutes to do something for YOU. Maybe read a book or get your nails done. I find that if I take some time to refresh, I am less likely to fall into a negative thinking pattern when things get stressful.
I know this is a different topic than what I usually include on my blog. The subject of positive thinking has been on my mind lately, and I thought it would be a perfect topic to include in a Fun Friday post (first post in this series here) . Let me know what you guys thought!
What tips do you have for positive thinking?