Do you ever look in the mirror during your lunch break and think “Damn, I wish my eyeliner wasn’t smudged” or “UGH why is my face so oily?!” Trust me, I’ve been there. When wearing your makeup for eight or more hours, these makeup mishaps can sometimes be unavoidable. However, I have learned a few tips and tricks to increase the longevity of my makeup!
1. Set your eyeliner with eyeshadow– Start off by lining the lash line with a gel or pencil liner. After completing this step, trace over this line with a liquid liner. I find that layering eyeliners helps increase wear time. Once the liner has dried, use an angled liner brush to set the liner with an eyeshadow of a similar color. Though these steps are tedious, your liner will not budge! You can also use the eyeshadow to make your liner appear softer or make a wing more precise.
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, Marc Jacobs pencil liner, Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette
2. The Triple Threat (primer, powder, and setting spray)-Not only do I use setting spray after my makeup is done, I use it before applying primer! I find the spray helps the primer cling to the skin. Once my makeup is complete, I apply setting spray BEFORE powder. If my skin appears cakey after powder, I apply a few more sprays. I find that applying setting spray before and after powder helps lock the makeup in place.
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, Clinique loose powder, Smashbox Primer Water
3. Powder Before Foundation- I only use this tip when I need to stay matte as long as possible. I learned this trick from YouTube all-star Wayne Goss. Apply a layer of loose powder all over the skin after primer and before foundation. I notice that oil does not break through my makeup as quickly and my foundation lasts longer. Wouldn’t try this if you have super dry skin!
4. Layer your highlighting products– Apply a liquid or cream highlighter to the tops of the cheekbones. Use a fan brush or your fingers to apply a powder highlight over the cream/liquid product. Dampen a beauty sponge with primer water or setting spray and gently dab over the highlighted area.
Real Techniques Contour sponge, Becca Opal Shimmering Skin Perfector pressed and liquid
This tip not only lengthens the wear time of your highlight, but also intensifies it!
5. Use brow gel before and after applying a brow product– Brush through your brows with a spoolie brush and apply a clear or tinted brow gel. Once the gel dries, apply your brow product of choice. Then go in with another layer of brow gel. I have found this tip helps the longevity of my brow products.I try to use a light hand when applying the gel to avoid the brows getting clumpy!
ABH Brow Wiz and Brow Powder Duo, L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper
I hope this post provided some helpful tips you may not have known about! I really enjoyed putting it together.
Welcome to Style in the Afternoon if you are a new follower! I am so glad you have decided to stick around. I try to stop by as many of your blogs as possible. I love discovering other blogs! I also want to mention that I will be going on vacation next week (JAMAICA!!!), so I might be a bit absent from the blog. I decided to start an Instagram to have another platform to connect with other bloggers and share some more ootds and makeup looks that might not make it to the blog. Starting Monday, I will be posting some vacation outfits and plenty of beach pictures from Jamaica. If you are interested, please follow me @styleintheafternoon!
Thanks for reading,